22 November 2007

Gingerbread Stuffing

I don't know if I should post this, since it is still in the oven - 3 minutes to go - and hasn't even been tasted yet. The idea of gingerbread + bacon in stuffing came from my new food hero, Nigella Lawson, but I didn't really follow her recipe - just used it as a springboard. Another disclaimer: it's not really stuffing, it's technically dressing. I don't stuff turkeys. Just people.

1 recipe gingerbread (Joy of Cooking's is awesome - but I used half the amount of sugar, butter, and molasses)
5 apples - Granny Smith or eating apples (I used a variety)
2 onions
8-10 stalks celery
1-2 cups chicken broth
6 strips bacon

1. Dry out and crumble up gingerbread. Chop apples, celery and onions.

2. In a large frying pan or griddle, fry the bacon. Crumble and set aside. Drain *most* of the fat out of the pan. Add onions to the pan and saute in a little bacon fat until translucent. Add apples and celery; saute 5-10 minutes longer. Add gingerbread crumbs and bacon; stir to combine. Moisten with chicken broth.

3. Transfer stuffing to 9x13 pan, bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

OK I just tasted some... it is amazing. Try this at home.

2 comments:

Christopher J Coleman said...

Could I use store bought gingerbread?

Cheers!

emilie said...

Totally. Hey I heard you spent your Thanksgiving working at Star-sucks. Sorry about that. But.. time and a half?