I thought this was going to be a gross dinner - just using up what was in my cupboard, so maybe my expectations were low and that helped... but I must say, it was delicious, if a tad too spicy. Here it is - another winner from Simply Recipes.
OK, now... here's what I did differently (you had to know this was coming):
- halved it
- used apple juice instead of broth
- used regular canned diced tomatoes instead of fire-roasted, then added some red pepper flakes (too many, according to Ken, but I think it was awesome)
- used small regular potatoes and cut them up smaller than a baby potato quartered would be, I think
- used powdered ginger instead of fresh
- used garam masala instead of the various spices (I think you could also sub curry powder, they're very similar)
- served it with regular rice instead of jasmine
- served it with toppings (because this was going to be a yucky/boring dinner so I was trying to make it interesting): fresh mango, avocado, dried figs, peanuts, green onions, coconut.