17 April 2009

Chickpea Potato Curry

rrreeeeaaalllyyy easy.

I thought this was going to be a gross dinner - just using up what was in my cupboard, so maybe my expectations were low and that helped... but I must say, it was delicious, if a tad too spicy. Here it is - another winner from Simply Recipes.

OK, now... here's what I did differently (you had to know this was coming):
  • halved it
  • used apple juice instead of broth
  • used regular canned diced tomatoes instead of fire-roasted, then added some red pepper flakes (too many, according to Ken, but I think it was awesome)
  • used small regular potatoes and cut them up smaller than a baby potato quartered would be, I think
  • used powdered ginger instead of fresh
  • used garam masala instead of the various spices (I think you could also sub curry powder, they're very similar)
  • served it with regular rice instead of jasmine
  • served it with toppings (because this was going to be a yucky/boring dinner so I was trying to make it interesting): fresh mango, avocado, dried figs, peanuts, green onions, coconut.
It was so good, it tasted like take-out. Let me know what you think if you try it!

No comments: