This is Ken's mom's recipe for Japanese curry. We had it last night and it is soooo good that we can't wait to have the leftovers again tonight. Now that is saying something :)
2 medium onions, sliced
1-2 lbs. raw chicken or beef, cut into about 1" pieces
2 carrots, cut into 1" pieces
2 medium potatoes, cut into 1" pieces
1 ripe banana, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 apple, grated
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
2 T. good quality curry powder
1 T. garam masala
salt & pepper
1 T. brown sugar
2 T. sour cream
1. In a large pot, saute onion slices in butter or olive oil over medium-low heat until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside. Add meat to pot and brown (add additional oil if needed). Add carrots and potatoes and sauteed onions. Add banana, garlic and apple. Cover with water and cook for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat and cook until brown. Add flour and mix constantly for 5 minutes. Add curry powder, remove from heat and continue to stir for another 5 minutes. Add 1 cup water slowly, mixing constantly until smooth. If there are too many lumps, put mixture in jar and shake well until mixed.
3. Add the curry sauce to the meat & veggies. Add more water if it is too thick (mine didn't need this). Continue to cook.
4. Add garam masala and a dash/squirt each of ketchup, soy sauce, tonkatsu sauce, salt and pepper. Stir in brown sugar; taste and adjust seasonings.
5. Right before serving, stir in sour cream. Serve over or alongside rice. Serves 4 starving people.