20 February 2009

Pita Chips!

Have you ever noticed how cheap a bag of pita breads is? I get them at Trader Joe's and they are like a dollar. Ridiculous. Pita chips, on the other hand, can be expensive. You won't believe how easy it is to make your own pita chips from pita bread.

6 pita rounds, cut in half around the edges so they are a single thickness (i.e.: no longer a pocket)
about 1/4 c. olive oil
coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400. Arrange pita rounds on a cookie sheet, smooth side up. Mix the olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl using a pastry brush. Brush oil mixture onto pitas, covering as much surface as you can but not leaving puddles of oil. Bake for 7-8 minutes, watching to make sure they don't burn. Let cool slightly, then break each round into pieces... 5-6 pieces is good, I think.

These are great with hummus! Try TJ's Roasted Red Pepper Hummus or Martha's mint-parsley hummus.

*Note - I've tried just drizzling each pita with olive oil, thinking I could save on dishes, but I think brushing the oil on allows for a more even coating and you don't have to use more oil than you need.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

I did this a few weeks ago! I had purchased some pita breads for fake gyros, and then I didn't know what to do with the leftovers, and I happened to have some hummus lying around, so I drizzled them with olive oil, spread it around with my silicone pastry brush that I have now used once, and then I baked them and the ones that I didn't burn tasted great! : )