06 September 2009

Crisp

It's not quite apple season, so today I made peach-blueberry crisp. It was lovely.

I assume you know how to do crisp, and if you don't you could very easily ask Betty Crocker. But... since I'm here I'll just jot it down, in case someone out there isn't aware that a brilliant fruit dessert is well within the grasp of the most novice cook.

Ingredients
about 3 c. of fruit - sliced apples (4-5 Granny Smith), peaches, blueberries, rhubarb, to name a few
1/2 c. each of rolled oats, flour and brown sugar
1 T. (?) cinnamon
nutmeg (go easy)
1/3 c. butter (softened)

Method
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Arrange fruit in 8x8 or pie dish (no need to grease, I should think)
3. In medium bowl, mix oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles crumbs. Pour/sprinkle mixture over fruit. Bake for 30 minutes.
4. Please try eating this for breakfast topped with yogurt. You will not be sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious, Em. I'll have to try it sometime. I think I may just fall under that category of ignorant novice! I wanted to let you know I bumped into some Garam Masala at World Market (Cost Plus) on Saturday and so now I can make whatever that recipe was that called for it! I was just excited because I hadn't heard of it before and then there it was! :) Thanks for keeping the inspirations coming!