28 June 2011

Oriental Salad

I am on a salad kick this summer, same as most summers. This is my new every day salad, as in, I want to eat it every day. I've had it 3 days in a row now, but I think I better quit since it has sort of a lot of butter in it. Yikes!

Oriental Salad (from Nanny)
1/4 c. butter (half a stick)
2 pkgs ramen noodles (just the noodles. Throw away that nasty packet of MSG that comes with)
1/2 c. chopped almonds
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
3 lbs. coleslaw mix or you know, shredded cabbage, green & purple, and some carrots

1. Brown butter in saucepan. Stir in ramen noodles, almonds and sesame seeds until everything is nice and brown and toasty. Transfer to bowl and wipe out saucepan.

2. Combine oil, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil in saucepan. Whisk together and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 minute and let cool.

3. Put cabbage in large salad bowl, dump almond/sesame mixture on top, and toss with dressing. I think if you add some chicken, it could count as a whole meal.

1 comment:

Kate said...

This sounds really good! I'm going to try it!