- from Better Homes & Gardens Vegetarian Cookbook
3 c. bread cubes/torn pieces (stale is better)
1 medium red bell pepper
2 T. olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 c. sliced mushrooms (optional, unless you are Jaclyn, then - essential) :)
OR 1/2 c. sliced olives (I've used green and kalamata)
3/4 c. crumbled feta or grated parmesan cheese (or grated swiss = Fake Quiche Lorraine)
2 c. chicken broth (or 1 3/4 c. broth and 1/4 c. white wine)
1. Preheat oven to 450. Slice red pepper in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place on foil-lined baking sheet skin side up and bake for 15 minutes or until skin bubbles. Let cool; peel skin off and coarsely chop.
2. Reduce oven heat to 350. Grease a 10" pie dish with olive oil; place bread pieces in dish.
3. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions 5-10 minutes or until golden. Add garlic and mushrooms (if using); saute 2-5 minutes more. Add red pepper, heat through. Place onion mixture on top of bread pieces; spread out if necessary. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
4. In a large-ish bowl, beat eggs. Add chicken broth (and wine if using) and black pepper; stir to combine. Pour egg mixture slowly over top, pressing with the back of a spoon to moisten bread so egg mixture will soak in.
5. Bake 35-45 minutes at 350. Test for doneness with a toothpick. It will be big and puffy but will deflate after a few minutes.