24 February 2011

Thai Coconut Chicken Soup

I got this recipe from Terry Meihaus. Maybe it is a secret recipe, but her restaurant is doing so well, she probably will not care that I am putting it on the internet :)

Ingredients
6 c. chicken broth
1" piece fresh ginger
2-3 stalks lemongrass
small red hot pepper, seeds and veins removed, finely chopped (divided)
2-4 cloves coarsely chopped garlic
2 14-oz cans coconut milk (Trader Joe's has the best kind)
5 raw chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 Tbsp. sugar
salt to taste
chopped chives & cilantro

Method
1. Boil broth, ginger, lemongrass, some of the hot pepper and garlic for 20 minutes. Strain out solids.

2. Stir in coconut milk. Bring to a boil again; add raw chicken and remaining hot pepper. Boil for 5-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add sugar and salt; adjust seasonings to taste. Sprinkle chives and cilantro on top just before serving.

3 comments:

Moira Walker said...

This sounds really good! I am going to have to try a variation for dinner tonight. I have coconut milk, but not the quantity you suggest and I also have some bamboo shoots to throw in the mix. I recently discovered a hidden gem a few minutes from my house - The HT Market (it's most asian foods, but has hispanic and indian as well). This is the first time I've ever had fresh bamboo shoots in my fridge and if I make them right, it won't be the last! :) Thanks for the recipe!

emilie said...

Let me know how it turns out with the bamboo. That sounds good.

Last time I made it, I used less coconut milk and more chicken broth. The color wasn't the same, but it was still really tasty.

Moira Walker said...

Last night's dinner:
-Bed of Rice
-Chicken that I cut up into bite-sized pieces, seasoned with "curry powder" and dried basil
-Bamboo shoots (added to pan after chicken outsides were cooked)
-Small can of Coconut Milk (8oz?)
-Red & Green Bell Peppers, chopped
Put a lid on the whole operation for about 10 minutes and then served. It was better than Curried Chicken I've made before (chicken seasoned w/ just curry powder), but I think some chicken stock could've helped. It wasn't as saucy as I would've liked. Still, the taste was all there...