26 September 2005

Mrs. Travis's Pumpkin Bars


Mrs. Travis is the guidance counselor at Alma Heights Christian Academy. This is a Sunset magazine recipe from 1967 that she passed on to Ken.

1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 c. canned pumpkin
1 1/2 c. unsifted flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. each ginger, allspice and baking soda
1/2 c. dates or raisins
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
Orange Glaze (recipe to follow)

Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg and pumpkin and beat well (it will look curdled). Blend the flour with the spices and soda and add to the creamed mixture. Add the dates/raisins and nuts; mix until well blended.

Spread evenly in a greased 11x16 pan. Bake at 350 until it begins to pull away from the sides (about 16-18 minutes). Spread with orange glaze. Cool and cut evenly into bars or squares to serve. Makes about 2 dozen.

Orange Glaze:
Blend 1 cup powdered sugar with 3 Tablespoons orange juice concentrate.

(Note to self and rest of world: I think I must have used a 9x13 pan because I don't have an 11x16 pan! You might have to bake it a little longer though..)

2 comments:

Marie said...

Exsqueese me but your profile picture is so hilarious. I showed it to Nicky and she laughed a lot.

emilie said...

Believe me, they are delicious. And exsqueeze ME but that is what I look like now. sike.